Adapted from a great piece of work by late Rev. Sr. Ify Atuegbu, SHCJ; an Iconic, a lovely mother and a great teacher of all time
While some parents appeal emotionally and passionately. Others react forcefully and aggressively, but the same underlying tone and unspoken word can be heard by ever discerning teacher; we depend so much on you for all overall success of our children.
The parents, the government, the society, the whole nation have come to depend so much on the teacher for a better tomorrow. Teachers are grinding under the heavy burden of expectation.
You should be able to give out what you have, the question is how do you give out what you have? That will lead us to teaching methodology.
Be a model to your students, e. g a teacher picking her ear with the cover of a pen.
- To a child, my Auntie knows everything.
- They spend over 7 hours of their active work day on daily bases with the teachers.
At the end of workshops, I would like you migrate from the level of ordinary teacher to a compassionate, passionate and responsible teacher.
The parents and the entire society rely on you for the fulfillment of their yearnings and aspiration on the child. The teacher carries the burden of the expectation and hope of an entire nation.
Recapture of Teachers responsibilities
Teaching is indeed a tasking and challenging job.
The Passionate teacher:
- Inspires – The passionate teacher arouses the interest of the students.
- Guides and Nurtures
(a) Inspires – arouses the latent power of the child; stirs up his desires and enthusiasm in life, awakens the giant in him.
If a child is inspired by the teacher from childhood, he grows up to rule the world and achieve his deepest dreams.
(b) A passionate teacher creates: A passionate teacher creates in the child, by his actions and methodologies, a mental picture of a brighter future with limitless boundaries and greatest discoveries possible.
(c) Guides and Nurtures: The passionate teacher guides the child step-by step, loving and painstakingly towards achieving the picture already created in him. He guides the child to be able to form right opinions about how to behave, how to live and what to do in life. He goes extra mile to practically offer the support needed for the attainment of the higher goal of the child.
– He stays and direct the child.
– Guiding is a tedious process which consumes time, energy, resources and passion.
– That is why it is only a passionate teacher that can tolerate the low moments of the child, endure the initial failure and overlook the childish tendencies that tend to kill the dream of a child.
(d) The passionate teacher changes: Passionate teacher changes the life of a child when the heart is still innocent, when the head is still blank & hand still trainable.
(e) Teacher informs: Passionate teacher goes an extra mile to research, study and produce facts that will be reach enough to ignite the child towards performing extremely high. He provides students with rich and adequate information that will make them excel in life e.g. motivating them by informing them about the greatest achievements & records ever made and how to make their dreams possible.
Stories of great achievers can boost their morals and dreams and build their mindsets. For example, films and actors, kid inventors, music and Artists, Sportsmen, Scientist, Influential men (who has made indelible marks), writes etc.
(f) The Passionate teacher believes in: No child is created empty; no child is useless in life. Every child is a bundle of potential that is waiting to explode for global reckoning and worldwide applause. Every child has what it takes to be a great person in life.
(g) Passionate Teacher demonstrates: Children learn from examples than precepts. The importance and power of example can never be underestimated in human development. A teacher should not only teach, share and tell stories, he should live by example. Children so much believe in their teachers more than their parents.
(h) The passionate teacher achieves; what will make the child to become a fully developed adult and responsible citizen.
(i) The Passionate teacher seeks; an alternative route to success for the child who is academically deficient by painstakingly studying the child to see if there are other talents that could be exhumed and developed in the child’s life to make up for the academic deficiency.
Don’t give up on any child.
The fact that the child is not good in academic does not make him a failure in life.
Major Components. (Pupils)
- Arousing motivation: The teacher shows warmth and enthusiasm for the subject; the teacher excites the pupil’s curiosity or introduces an element of surprise into the lesson or create interest by telling story or introducing an activity.
- Structuring – the teacher states the limits of tasks to be carried out e.g this afternoon we are going to look at some pictures and after that we are going to write a story.
- The introduction must be meaningful to pupils in terms of their age, ability and interests.
- The introduction must be seen to be related to the lesson content and objectives.
- The introduction should establish links with previous knowledge.
This is used to modify and to change pupil’s behavior in a positive way. This is used when teacher reinforces good behavior with a smile, praises a good answer, encourages a slow learner, write “well done” on a piece of work. It leads to a repetition of the pupil’s behavior and attitude.
Learners exposed to this democratic teaching are
- Helpful, cooperative, responsible, empathic, enthusiastic, happy, resourceful, confident.
- He wants his learners to reach full potential and to be happy, well-adjusted and successful.
- Teachers should have confidence in learners, as learners who are treated with dignity and respect are able and willing to cooperate in class and to learn the skills needed to solve problems which will encourage them to exercise self- control.
Ways in which the democratic or healthy teacher can empower learners in class:
- Organize and plan lessons
- Assist the learners to develop the capacity to set own goals and the desire to reach them.
- Realize that each learner is a unique individual,.
- Give learners responsibilities.
- Become a good listener and accept learner’s opinions.
- Spend time with each learner and make each learner feel capable of success.
- Set reasonable limits for behavior and make fair rules for discipline.
- Ensure a safe environment in class.
- Allow learners to share in decision making in the class.
Teaching is a polymorphous activity, it can take many forms but the kind of activity involved in teaching depends upon what is being taught.
Unless learning has taken place, the effort cannot be referred to as teaching. Teaching is defined as a relatively permanent change in behavior as a result of experience.
Select the teaching method that allows active participation of both the teacher and the learners. Teaching is a triadic process involving interactions among the teacher, the subject matter and the Students.
Consequently, teaching involves an exchange of information between the teacher and the Students in order to understand the meaning of the content or information being shared.
There are many good methods a teacher can employ when teaching. If you find out that some students are not responding to the method you are using, then try another method. Use more creative and problem- solving methods.
In Memory of Rev. Sr. Ify Atuegbu, SHCJ
Lets get comments on what you think about this tip
For more posts on interesting topics click here
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Email me on(guest posts welcome!): email@example.com